Who says you can’t host a summer soiree and barbecue when you live in the city? Sure, you probably don’t have any outdoor space or a grill, but that shouldn’t stop you! When my friends from al fresco natural reached out about partnering on a summer entertaining post, I have to admit I kind of thought the same thing. We don’t have a deck or yard, but we do have a trusty grill pan that I often use to grill my chicken sausages :). Boston Chic Party is all about celebrating the every day in our this great city we call home- and I’m not about to let city living stop my entertaining. And you shouldn’t either!
al fresco natural is the best meat to serve for any summer barbecues- whether you are a city dweller or not! MJD and I probably eat their chicken sausages once a week. I love them SO much. Not only do they have a variety of amazing flavors, but their chicken sausages are a healthier alternative to traditional sausage and can be prepared in a matter of minutes as they are already full cooked. The different flavors make it something you can have time and time again too! For a barbecue, I love that they make it easier to make chicken without dealing with raw meat while you have guests over. Their sausages are chicken- but better!
With so much of summer still left, there are plenty of excuses to get together with friends for a yummy barbecue city style! Here are my tips for hosting your own barbecue when you live in the city:
- DO serve al fresco natural chicken sausages: These delish chicken sausages are the perfect main meat for your barbecue! They are fully cooked making them easy to handle (no raw chicken!) and they grill up in mere minutes allowing you to enjoy the party 🙂 al fresco’s sausages come in a pack of four so you can serve a few different flavor varieties as well. Your guests will absolutely love them all! My favorites for summer are the roasted garlic, sweet Italian and spinach & feta.
- DO invest in a grill pan: Okay, so you don’t have a grill, but did you know a grill pan is the next best thing?! I’ve had mine for years and it really helps to give this party a more authentic barbecue feel because of the grilled food. Trust me when I say you’ll use it all the time- it’s not one of those kitchen items you buy and use once 😉
- DO bring some traditional “barbecue” or summer inspired pieces into your table décor: I love a good tablescape, but one for a barbecue should definitely be fun and not fussy. This was easy to achieve with a bit of burlap, some picnic-table print napkins and sunflowers. I love the rustic, but classic look the burlap had when paired with the red-and-white check napkins. The print totally makes me think of barbecues and summer, but I think doing it in pops of print with the napkin is a bit more chic and city-like than a full tablecloth. Can’t have a good tablescape without flowers and these pretty sunflowers were the ideal flower to bring it all together.
- DO serve at least one side you can make ahead of time: I LOVE panzanella and it is an Italian pairing with traditional sausage so knew I wanted to try it with my al fresco sausages. I mean, who doesn’t love panzanella? MJD and I were joking because it’s basically a bread salad! #gimmecarbs As a hostess with the mostest, I also love that you can make it ahead of time and let it sit. In fact, it actually gets better as it sits! PS- I use this recipe to make mine with some tweaks based on our taste 😉
- DON’T let a lack of outdoor space stop you from hosting a barbecue: Hopefully today’s post showed you that you don’t have to let traditional ideas of barbecues as outdoor events or your space (or lack thereof) stop you from throwing an amazing summer dinner party!
In addition to making some of the yummiest products that I buy all the time, al fresco natural is a big supporter of the fight against breast cancer which is a cause near and dear to my heart. Being local to Boston, al fresco is a big supporter of the Ellie Fund and their services that aim to ease everyday life for breast cancer patients through meals, housekeeping and transportation amongst other things. This year al fresco will donate over 3,000 healthy meals to patients through the Ellie Fund. How amazing is that?! I was honored to be al fresco’s guest at the recent Five for Ellie fashion show to support the organization and learn more about the Ellie Fund. It made me love al fresco even more than I did before!
What do you think- does my city style barbecue work?
FYI- This post was sponsored by al fresco natural. All images and opinions are my own.