Desk: Wayfair File Folders: Graphique de France (c/o) Notebook and Notepad: Graphique de France (c/o) Pen: Graphique de France (c/o) Calendar: Graphique de France (c/o) Smile Print: Neatly Nested Flamingo Print: Posh and Prep (c/o) Get Chic Done Print: Preppy Print Shop via Etsy Candle: Diptyque Camera: Fujifilm Acrylic Letter: HomeGoods (similar here)
Whether you are doing it for your main gig or your side hustle, working from home is more and more prevalent these days as technology allows most of us to work anywhere and everywhere. I work from home a few days a week for my day job (in Human Resources at a technology company) and of course when writing blog posts for my night job (a little blog you may recognize, Boston Chic Party 😉 ).
When I first started working on my blog, I did a lot of things that prevented productivity- such as working from the couch while MJD watched TV. Probably not the best way to focus! I also had an adjustment as I transitioned to working from home a few days a week for my day job. I had to get my schedule down so I didn’t end up sitting in my work out clothes all day after a morning workout (I still do this sometimes though #guilty). I’m obviously not perfect, but there are a few tips I’ve picked up that have helped me to be more productive when working from home.
- Have a dedicated space to get work done– Getting a desk was the best decision I ever made for both blogging and working from home. Living in a smaller place, it is totally feasible to find a small desk these days that takes up minimal space. I am SO much more productive and focused when I work at my desk.
- Keep your desk or working space organized- This is important enough to be it’s own tip and not part of number one. When your desk is a mess, you’ll feel distracted. I like to spend the first few minutes of the day getting my desk organized if I left it a mess. Cute folders like these ones from Graphique de France (the cutest Boston-area stationery and gift boutique) help me keep blogging contracts or other paperwork straight.
- Start your day with a prioritized To-Do List – I am a big list maker and am always jotting down my to-do lists in my notebooks to stay organized. I like to start the work day (whether I’m at home or the office) with a to-do list of all the things I need to accomplish that day. Once I get them all written down, I’ll try to number them in priority order so I know where to focus first. I also will create lists for “later in the week” so I can keep things on my radar beyond that day. I love using notebooks or sticky notes to make these lists and the Gold Dots stationery set from Graphique includes both! Is there any more satisfying feeling than crossing things off your to-do list? 😉
- Schedule your day– Once I have my to-do list, I try to schedule the work I need to get done in my calendar. I’ll block off an hour to work on a presentation in between meetings or schedule a meeting with myself to clean out my inbox. I also do this with my workouts to keep myself accountable 🙂 Adding things to my calendar just feels more real and sets a target timeframe to get them done in. Scheduling my day also includes identifying “quitting time”- because let’s be honest, there is always work to be done. But if you work all day and night you’ll easily burn out so be sure to know when it’s time to call it quits for the day.
- Move your phone out of reach– Maybe it’s just me (#socialmedia addict), but keeping my phone out of reach helps me stay focused on the task at hand rather than mindlessly scrolling Instagram. My desk is in our guest bedroom so I’ll put my phone on the bed on the other side of the room when I am working (unless of course I have a call!).
As a stationery addict, getting new stationery is kind of like the home office equivalent of new workout clothes to get motivated to go to the gym. I was recently introduced to Graphique de France, a local Boston based stationery and gift boutique. They have so many cute items, like the pen, calendar, folders and notebooks in today’s post! I love how the black and gold added to my desk décor and how they help me stay organized. If you follow me on Instagram, I’m teaming up with Graphique de France for a giveaway featuring their gold dots stationery set, gold dots file folders and gold dots pen (as seen in this post) to one lucky follower! Be sure to check out my post for all the details on how to enter for yourself 🙂
Do you work from home at all? What are your tips to staying focused and getting stuff done?
Well this post came at the perfect time since I’ve started working from home one day a week! Love how colorful everything is!! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston
Great tips… I find being by natural light, tho’ not necessarily facing out a window is great. (Looking outside became too distracting) And clutter – hear you! Tho’ hard to wrangle at times.
Timely post tho’ today I’ve been quite productive working from home… go figure!