With warmer weather on the horizon here in New England, we’ve been spending as much time outside as possible recently. Nicholas (and Peter!) loves being outside and I love seeing him have fun while also getting out his toddler energy. I also feel like my kids sleep better when they get fresh air which makes them happier and in turn makes me happier too 🙂
If you are looking for some new outdoor toys for your toddler this spring and summer, these are our favorite and most frequently used backyard toys. Most of these items we’ve had for over a year so I would say they are appropriate for two years old and up (the exception would be the ride on tractor!). Here’s to long days in the backyard!
- Step2 Water Table– This is definitely for hotter days because your little one will likely end up wet, but we love this water table! Nicholas plays really well independently with this toy. I know this one goes in and out of stock, but if you can’t find the exact one I’d really recommend any water table as toddlers love them!
- Step2 2-in-1 Net– This is a fun first intro to sports for toddlers as you can play both hockey and soccer with it. You also could use for lacrosse I think if you had mini lacrosse sticks.
- Little Tikes Sandbox– Like the water table, this is a great independent play toy for outside!
- John Deere Sandbox Toys– Have to have some trucks for the sandbox 🙂 Nicholas plays with these in the sandbox and digging up dirt in the yard so they are fun to have even without a sandbox!
- The Cozy Truck– I’m sure many of us remember the Cozy Coupe from our own childhood. This is an updated version of the classic. Nicholas was able to play with this one around 18 months so would be great for younger toddlers too.
- Little Tikes Garden Cart and Wheel Barrow– This is such a cute toy! Not only does Nicholas love playing with it, but if we are ever doing yard work while he is outside with us, he fills it up with weeds, dirt, etc. It helps us get things done with a little one who just wants to help 🙂
- Peg Perego Ride On John Deere Tractor– This was our Santa gift this year and it was a huge hit! One of our good friends has one and we knew Nicholas would love it. Honestly he could spend the whole day driving this around the yard! This is the only toy in this list I’d recommend waiting until a little older, like 3, until getting. It does have two speeds, but it goes pretty fast so I think better for an older toddler.
- Little Tikes Mower– A fan favorite in our house, even Peter loves sitting and playing with this at just 9 months old. It is an essential part of our landscaping crew gear 🙂
- Stihl Toy Chainsaw– This toy makes noises just like a real chainsaw and is a favorite for pretending to cut down trees.
- Husqvarna Toy Leaf Blower– Nicholas goes crazy for this toy! It is another one that is helpful if you are doing yardwork- he loves blowing leaves with Daddy when he does it. Can you tell we have a thing with landscaping in our house?
- Micro Scooter– Nicholas rides his scooter in the driveway and sometimes also chooses to “scoot” when we go on walks. He got this for his second birthday and was able to use it pretty immediately, but I have had some friends that said their kids didn’t use theirs until closer to 2.5 or 3.
Updated April 2022 to add a few new favorite items 🙂
12. Strider Balance Bike– Since I originally wrote this post last year, Nicholas’ love for the scooter has transitioned to his balance bike! He loves this balance bike and hopefully it makes the transition to a pedal bike easy! I’d say he had more interest in the balance bike at around 3.5 for those of you trying to decide based on ages 🙂
Honorable Mention- I didn’t include this in the picture above, but honorable mention goes to bubbles- the easiest and sometimes most entertaining outdoor toy! I love this bubble wand I initially shared as an Easter basket idea because it lets Nicholas blow bubbles on his own.
Shop The Post